Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Caddisfly Family Limnephilidae

This huge family appropriately contains huge caddisflies. Many of its genera are important, but the western genus Dicosmoecus (the Giant Orange Sedge or October Caddis) is especially important as a big-trout hatch.

Limnephilidae contains so many species that it is difficult to generalize about them all. LaFontaine commented on the task in Caddisflies:

The fact that fly fishermen need broad principles of biology, not a collection of exceptions, makes it difficult to handle this family.

I recommend learning which genera or species are prevalent in your area and studying them specifically.

Example specimens

GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 8, 2006October 8th, 2006, 1:19 pm EDT
I believe the genus Apatania is in its own family--Apataniidae. Also, because not all Limnephilidae are "giants," the most frequently used common name for this family is "Northern Caddisflies."
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 9, 2006October 9th, 2006, 5:12 am EDT
Thanks. I've just made all those changes. I hadn't seen the "Northern Caddisfly" name before.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 9, 2006October 9th, 2006, 5:44 am EDT
Gonzo & Jason-

Northern Casemakers is the common name I've more often seen family Limnephilidae called.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 9, 2006October 9th, 2006, 8:04 am EDT
Roger's right, "Casemakers" is probably more common, but both are used. (Actually, I included both in my original post, but edited out "Casemakers" when I couldn't remember if it was one word, two words, or hyphenated. I didn't want to make an incorrect correction.) I've also seen "Diverse Caddisflies," which certainly fits this vast and confusing family.

Quick Reply