Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dorsal view of a Pteronarcys dorsata (Pteronarcyidae) (Salmonfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Sep 10, 2010September 10th, 2010, 11:06 pm EDT
Hey, what'sm with those wierd fuzzy looking things under its belly and forearms? Is that some sort of traction thing for sticking to stuff?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 11, 2010September 11th, 2010, 3:55 am EDT
Adirman-

Interesting guess, but those are called gills, and are used to "breathe" dissolved oxygen from the water. Stonefly family generally determines whether or not gills are possessed, where they are located on the body, and the form they take, finger-like or filamentous, simple or branched, etc.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Sep 11, 2010September 11th, 2010, 5:56 am EDT
Taxon;

Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply