Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Chris_3g has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
This is my "money shot."
...another shot of the same fish...just beautiful.
A beautiful female to match the male.  What a year!
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 5:39 am EST
Hey guys! I don't mean to boast, but I am ridiculously excited about my latest catch.

To preface the post, I have fished a lot in the last couple of days for lake-run fish. This is not known as productive fishing, and I spent a lot of time fishing, but not very much time catching, so it's a good thing I actually like fishing.

Anyway, yesterday was my only productive day. I caught an average-sized creek chub (6-8") and a really nice-sized creek chub (14-16"). I am trying to train myself not to be a Salmonid elitist, and the latter fish really put up a nice fight, i.e. he deserves to be mentioned. Shortly after that, I hooked a nice-sized (18-20") brown, but lost him about five feet from the shore; he threw the hook. The disappointment was rather crushing.

Moving on, I found myself on another creek, and as I was drawing back for one of the hundreds of casts I had executed that day, my rod doubled over, and I ended up with the above 22" landlocked salmon; I have to believe that the landlock decided I had worked hard enough for him at that point.

It was a beautiful fish, and while the fight was short-lived, the acrobatics provided me with visuals I hope never to forget. I had to cut the fly from my tippet (the take was pretty aggressive), but given the short fight, he needed no reviving whatsoever, and swam off just as quickly as he arrived on shore. It's a memory I will have forever, and I just thought I would share it with you all.

Have a good day.

Chris.

EDIT

I never expected this, but I landed the second landlocked salmon of my life within four days of the first, and this time, it was a beautiful 21" female. She is very reminiscent of the large female I fished to (and possibly hooked up with) a few days back. I don't know if she is the same fish, but I have to wonder. I drifted a "double-bunny" streamer through her lie, and pulled the trigger a bit early when I pulled the fly out of her mouth. Realizing my mistake, I executed a second cast, and watched in slow motion, as she took the fly, clamped down, and turned; then, I set the hook.

Anyway, I said this about the male, but I think it's much more safe to say that these first two salmon are bound to be the largest I will ever catch, and as this time of year goes, they could be the only ones I ever catch. Needless to say, I am feeling a bit spoiled.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 7:04 am EST
It's been a few years and I still haven't forgotten my first (and only) landlocked salmon from the Finger Lakes. Those acrobatics stick with you! It's neat that you got a nice hook-jawed male, too.

I'm guessing that the chubs weren't actually creek chubs, but fallfish, a larger species in the same genus. 14-16" would be huge (but probably not impossible) for a creek chub, and much more realistic for a fallfish. It's still a nice one, though. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 7:20 am EST
It's funny that you said about the mis-identified creek chubs - I was about to post exactly the same thing. I just had a hard time believing that a creek chub could get that big (something about it just didn't seem right), so I checked into various species that matched the description, and converged on fallfish. You just beat me to the punch. Regardless, it was a really nice non-trout fish.

Chris.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 11:34 am EST
Fallfish are pretty cool. I've never caught one that big around Ithaca. I did get into a school of big ones surface-feeding during a hatch on the very lower Beaverkill one August. I caught a few over 18 inches there, along with a little smallmouth bass and a red-breasted sunfish... and no trout!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 11:57 am EST
Excellent, Chris. A beautiful fish. Congratulations on your catch and your perseverance.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 4, 2008November 4th, 2008, 5:14 pm EST
Beautiful fish - were you on Salmon Creek?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 5, 2008November 5th, 2008, 9:53 am EST
Gorgeous fish. Congratulations!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CamWolf1313
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

CamWolf1313 on Nov 16, 2008November 16th, 2008, 3:56 am EST
WOW amazing story and fish, Congratulations!!!
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.

Quick Reply