Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 25, 2008October 25th, 2008, 3:15 am EDT
Hi All: It's been awhile since I've posted here. I hope you're all well. Is it possible to purchase a waterproof digital camera for around $200? The reason for waterproof is that I dropped one in the water for just about 10 seconds and I couldn't get it to work again.
Thanks,
Bruce
UPTroutBum
Marquette, MI

UPTroutBum on Oct 25, 2008October 25th, 2008, 5:46 am EDT
I was just thinking the same thing, I was at a camera store and looked at a couple, they all seem to start in the high 200's. I haven't done much research online tho.
" The true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing season with
all the sense of wonder and awe of a child approaching Christmas." John Voelker
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 25, 2008October 25th, 2008, 9:53 am EDT
Here ya go:

Pentax Optio W30 for $190

It looks like there are plenty of low prices online for the W30 and its predecessors, the W20, W10, and WPi. I've got the WPi. The link above goes to Adorama, which is a reputable merchant.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 4:49 am EST
Jason,

You would know, hence my response. Would you lean toward the Pentax Optio Wxx line or the Olympus Stylus xxxSW line when choosing a waterproof camera. These two lines seem to be the main competitors in the market, and I've read reasonably similar reviews for each, so I'm sort of stumped. If you have any light to shed on the topic, it would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Chris.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 4:59 am EST
Hey Chris,

I really don't know, because I've only owned and used the Pentax. Olympus makes fine cameras, too. I would check out some photography review sites like dpreview.com for detailed comparisons.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Nov 3, 2008November 3rd, 2008, 5:19 am EST
Thanks for the link!

Quick Reply