Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Caddisfly Genus Pycnopsyche

Example specimens

BrettB
Martinsburg, West Virginia

BrettB on Oct 2, 2008October 2nd, 2008, 7:16 am EDT
Came in to work today and noted several large Autumn sedges on doors facing river(18mm wing-to-head and 34mm total w/ antennae). Though more brownish-rusty than I remember them being, I'm relatively certain it is a Pycnopsyche due to the size, timing and dark markings near the rear mid-wing (sort of looks like a yin-yang symbol). Does anyone know of a good emerger fly for this hatch? I'm assuming it emerges in the evening through early morning. I may tie up some size 8 rusty elk hair caddis for adult imitations. Big bugs!
Brett Billings
long-time tyer and amateur entomologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 2, 2008October 2nd, 2008, 7:54 am EDT
Brett,

Although some might emerge on the surface, most Pycnopsyche crawl out to emerge. A surface emerger is usually not of much value. A large fur-bodied soft hackle crawled along the bottom toward shore can be effective for imitating the pupae. In addition to the dry adult pattern, a big rusty wet could also be useful when the adults are laying eggs.
BrettB
Martinsburg, West Virginia

BrettB on Oct 3, 2008October 3rd, 2008, 9:35 am EDT
Gonzo,

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of a big, fat wet fly on the bottom late in the afternoon as nymphs start to drift. A big wet fly in size 10 or 12? Perhaps some grey-brown muskrat fur with partridge hackle? Sounds like a very promising technique. The rusty wet fly also sounds good.
Brett Billings
long-time tyer and amateur entomologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Oct 3, 2008October 3rd, 2008, 9:49 am EDT
I'd go lighter with the body color on the pupa, Brett. The belly is usually a pale creamy color with a ginger tint and the back is a darker ginger-brown. A loose mix of those colors will suffice for a general suggestion. You might want to dub a band of blackish brown just behind the soft-hackle collar to suggest the dark wingpads. A #10-12 (2X) should be about right.

Quick Reply