Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached this picture. The message is below.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 25, 2008July 25th, 2008, 6:09 am EDT
Here is a real brook trout I also caught in the Catkills. Sorry the picture is taken away from the water but rest assured the fish was returned to the water shortly after the picture was taken and swam away quickly.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 25, 2008July 25th, 2008, 6:50 am EDT
Beautiful fish and very nice photo.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 25, 2008July 25th, 2008, 6:57 am EDT
Shawn,

Thanks! Where is Pleasant Gap? Have you ever fished the WB or main stem?

Matt
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jul 25, 2008July 25th, 2008, 7:54 am EDT
what kind of reel is that?
beautiful fish BTW, thanks for posting
I am haunted by waters
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 25, 2008July 25th, 2008, 9:31 am EDT
That is one of the classics! If you don't have at least a couple of these you'll never know the sweet sound of success as a fish runs the drag.

That particular reel is a Hardy LRH. I have two of those. The next size up is the Princess which I have two. Going down is the Featherweight which is good for a DT3 with a little backing or a DT4 with no backing. Lastly in the Hardy Lighweight Series is the diminutive "Flyweight" which is ideal for you #1, #2, or #3 devotees.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 28, 2008July 28th, 2008, 4:37 am EDT
Hey, WBranch. Pleasant Gap is about 10 miles Northeast of State College. I've never fished the Delaware (well, maybe once when I had no clue what I was doing), but it's definitely something I'd love to do someday.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jul 28, 2008July 28th, 2008, 9:06 am EDT
it is a great looking reel! probably out of my budget though... I think Martin used to make a cheap lookalike...
I am haunted by waters
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 28, 2008July 28th, 2008, 9:36 am EDT
James,

Heddon produced the inexpensive look-alike 300 series clones back in the '60s. Occasionally they still turn up on E-bay, but the winning bids seem excessive for a used knock-off. (I had one as a kid, but the handle fell off.) You can also find plenty of the real Hardy Lightweight series on E-bay, but they usually bid out from an extreme low of $150 (rather poor condition) to more than $200.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 28, 2008July 28th, 2008, 1:41 pm EDT
James,

Like I said, it is a classic design and looks great on your lighter graphite and bamboo rods. When I was a kid of 20 years old I used to go to a fly shop in NJ called "Ramsey Outdoor Stores" and there were just two reels available at that time in the early 1960's. The Plueger "Medalist" Series and the Hardy "Lightweight" Series.

I remember "saving up" the $25.00 to buy my first Hardy LRH and the extra spool was $6.00 or $7.00. Actually most of the reels built today are machined out of solid bar stock aluminum where the Hardy Lightweight is just an aluminum casting (or maybe a forging which would be stronger) and then the casting is machined to the finished inside and outside dimensions.

I'll post another picture of a Hardy and a trout.

Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jul 29, 2008July 29th, 2008, 5:46 am EDT
It must be the Heddon I am thinking of. A guy I grew up with had one. I love the Pfleuger Medalist except that you can't switch the handle to lefty on the smallest model. I bought a box of old South Bend reels several years ago on ebay-- there were three of them in various states of disrepair, enough to create two functioning reels-- for about 10 bucks. But they are so old that the drag is practically worn away... I bought an expensive rod last year (Winston) and feel like I should match it with a decent reel... but on the other hand, should probably replace my leaky waders and rusting vise before that!

great pics Wbranch that rainbow is a pig!

I am haunted by waters
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jul 29, 2008July 29th, 2008, 6:47 am EDT
James,

I dropped my wife's digital into the stream-- twice. The first time it dried out OK, but the second time did it in. So I had to replace it with an upgrade, which took a BIG bite out of the 'fishing stuff' budget.

I bought an expensive rod last year (Winston) and feel like I should match it with a decent reel... but on the other hand, should probably replace my leaky waders and rusting vise before that!

A new Winston, a new digital camera for the wife, a decent reel for the Winston, new waders and a new vise! Man, your ‘fishing stuff’ budget is the envy of us all.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2008July 29th, 2008, 6:51 am EDT
If you want my $.02 you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a good functional reel. I have three Teton salt water reels and like them so much that I found a nice trout model on FAOL for $100. It hold a DT4 and enough backing for all but the biggest and hottest Delaware rainbow. It has a disc drag, is great looking, and the color is like a blackish blue. Large arbor reels are nice and Cabelas's has many reels to select from.
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Jul 29, 2008July 29th, 2008, 7:57 am EDT
Ha! Falsify the reel, waders and vise have not yet received purchase approval from senior management, aka the spouse. we're working on that...

Wbranch thanks for the rec, I will check it out. BTW, what is the reasoning behind 'large arbor' reels?
I am haunted by waters
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2008July 29th, 2008, 12:04 pm EDT
By the very design of LA reels they can retrieve line many times faster than that of the reels where the spool diameter is in the 1" diameter range.

It can be particularly helpful when a large fish makes a big run, say all your fly line and 25 yards of backing. Now you have about 165 feet of line out there in the river. If the fish suddenly changes direction and runs straight back towards you it is important to get line back onto the spool as fast as possible.

Even if you never expect to be getting big fish on a regular basis the LA reel is nice because the coils of line on the spool are much bigger compared to those tight, spring like, coils you see on conventional reel spools.
JZord
New York

JZord on Mar 18, 2009March 18th, 2009, 8:31 am EDT
nice picture!

Quick Reply