Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached this picture. The message is below.
The Release
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Jul 29, 2008July 29th, 2008, 2:10 pm EDT
Very nice fish...

In about 35 years of doing this stuff, I've caught 3 tigers I'm pretty certain were wild. One was in a small Loyalsock trib, another was in a small Cameron County freestone with a strong wild BT pop and a healthy, but lesser wild ST pop. The third was last season in a Wisconsin Spring Creek. All were between 6-8" in length.

I'm inherently skeptical of the potential for wild ancestry in any tiger that runs into the size range of stocked catchables. But the Delaware is a huge system with a lot of tribs with pretty strong pops. of both BT and ST. And a wild tiger that made it down out of one of these smaller drinks into the bigger water would certainly have the forage at his disposal to grow to that sort of size. The D is certainly one of the more likely places to find such a fish.

Up the line, somebody asked:

>>Where in Wisconsin can we find Tigers...? I am guessing it is up north more but I haven't heard much about Tigers in Wisconsin. Any tips???>

A pretty fair number of the streams in the Central Sands region of the state have pretty fair mixed BT/ST pops and might produce some tigers.
Additionally, some streams in the Driftless Area are probably a lot more likely to produce such a fish now than they were when we moved out here 8 years ago. In the interim, WI-DNR has made a concerted effort to get wild ST started in quite a few of their high potency wild brown trout waters. They've been pretty successful, as near as I can tell. They use wild fingerlings and this seems to make a major difference in how likely a self-sustaining pop is to take off and prosper.

In any event, quite a few of the streams I regularly fish up there that were browns only are now mixed fisheries. With this comes the increased possibility of a wild tiger..

Bodeen
Bodeen on Mar 1, 2009March 1st, 2009, 6:50 am EST
I would have ate it. I hear they are very good eating.
BGrnFlyfish
Wisconsin

BGrnFlyfish on Mar 1, 2009March 1st, 2009, 9:46 am EST
You can definetly find tigers in the driftless area! Now what stream...you'll have to experiment on your own.
Seth-Big Green River, WI
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Mar 1, 2009March 1st, 2009, 10:29 am EST
Nice fish Matt.

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
JZord
New York

JZord on Mar 4, 2009March 4th, 2009, 7:55 am EST
I'm impressed!
52Buick
West Coast B.C Canada

52Buick on Mar 7, 2009March 7th, 2009, 3:29 pm EST
Excellant ! .. Good job :-)
Trout Stalker

Quick Reply