Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

ScareCrow has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
A 22inch creek chub.  weighed about 4lbs too.
A brown i caught on a rapala jointed.
A nice rainbow.  yes i ate him for dinner, but i am a culinary affecianado (spelling?).  i love to cook, and the only thing better than cooking fish, is cleaning, cooking, and eating a fresh rainbow.
Here he is... 2ft pickerel.  Caught him on an old fake worm with a jighead that i found laying on the ground at a local pond.  The best lures aren't the 7 dollar ones i buy, but the ones i find.
ScareCrow
Wolfeboro, NH

ScareCrow on Jun 6, 2008June 6th, 2008, 3:06 am EDT
I am kinda bummed that I didn't get to go flyfishing yet this year. But everyone enjoys just going out to do some good ol' lure fishing. Got myself a few trout on the big lake here and also a 2 ft. pickerel. (biggest fish in my life so far) Figured I could share them with you. I know you guys would appreciate it.
-=Scarecrow=-
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jun 6, 2008June 6th, 2008, 3:10 pm EDT
That "brown" you caught looks like a brook trout to me....
ScareCrow
Wolfeboro, NH

ScareCrow on Jun 9, 2008June 9th, 2008, 3:43 am EDT
figured someone would say that. all the photos i've seen of "brookies" shows they have a very distinctive red belly and are brighter colored than the one i caught. wasn't really sure which one it was but now i know.
-=Scarecrow=-
Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Jun 9, 2008June 9th, 2008, 6:03 am EDT
my guess is its a brookie also...the white tips on the fins are a big indication. I don't see any worming on the back but I think we are losing that in the picture.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jun 9, 2008June 9th, 2008, 7:03 am EDT
I don't know where you reside but my guess is either a brook trout or a bull trout. Light spots on a dark background definetly not a brown, a char of some type for sure. Perhaps a dolly varden but I would say with almost 100 percent certainty not a brown.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
CamWolf1313
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

CamWolf1313 on Jun 16, 2008June 16th, 2008, 11:44 am EDT
My guess would be a brookie. Do to his location its probibly not a bull trout. the white tips at the end are an indication along with the yellow spots with the very slight blue outlining. Still an awesome fish.
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Jun 17, 2008June 17th, 2008, 8:00 am EDT
Just looks like a faded(or never colored) stocked brookie... nice pickerel by the way.
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach

Quick Reply