Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

VaalShuffle
Johannesburg South Africa

VaalShuffle on Apr 18, 2008April 18th, 2008, 9:37 pm EDT
Jason I am new to your site and noticed that the insect photgraphas in the streams etc are awesome. how do you do it? These pics are mind blowing you seem to get the perfect light all the time. Do you spend a lot of time carrying around camera equipment or what?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 19, 2008April 19th, 2008, 11:05 am EDT
I do spend lots of time carrying camera equipment around. But the real secret is to take lots of pictures and not put the bad ones on the website. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 19, 2008April 19th, 2008, 2:20 pm EDT
The digital age has spawned a lot of great photographers, hasn't it, Jason?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Nateps
michigan

Nateps on Apr 26, 2008April 26th, 2008, 11:48 am EDT
heres a pic of my last brown trout of the season 2007, not a great camera, but a great fish!!!

http://www.picable.com/Nature/Animals/Brown-Trout.113766

Nate
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 26, 2008April 26th, 2008, 4:12 pm EDT
That fish is a beautiful monster, Nate. Nice going.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply