Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Clong89 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Beautiful Rainbow caught on gold stonefly imitation.
Another rainbow
Brown caught on light cahill
One of my favorite fishing holes
Clong89
Conyers, GA and Lehighton, PA

Clong89 on Apr 7, 2008April 7th, 2008, 3:32 am EDT
I mainly fish the head waters of the Pohopoco starting right from where it enters Beltzville. I have found it to be very tough fishing, but when you catch one it's a fighter. I assume they are wild trout since I didn't think rainbows were stocked. Overall it's great fishing once you find the hatch and even if you don't catch it's great being out there.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 7, 2008April 7th, 2008, 3:45 am EDT
What is wrong with the rainbow's dorsal fin? Is it clipped or is it just the picture?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Swimdude
Funky Town, USA

Swimdude on Apr 7, 2008April 7th, 2008, 1:31 pm EDT
Yeah...the rainbow's dorsal fin does look a bit funky. I would have to say this is a terrible catch...
Funkytown USA
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 4:55 pm EDT
No, it is actually a very pretty and chunky rainbow but with a goofy looking dorsal.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 5:05 pm EDT
Matt, don't take the bait. If you check Swimdude's home page, you'll see that he's just "one of those." That rainbow looks like it may have escaped a mink encounter.

Quick Reply