Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle has attached this picture. The message is below.
"Casting To The Shadows"  Original watercolor.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Mar 27, 2008March 27th, 2008, 5:31 am EDT
Hi All,
I've been getting kind of anxious, lately. In my case, painting helps. So, I thought I'd share my latest with you.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Mar 27, 2008March 27th, 2008, 5:34 am EDT
WOW!! I wish I had a talent such as yours. I am awful at drawing and most other forms of "mainstream" art, but wow this really makes me appreciate the art of fly fishing even more.
"I now walk into the wild"
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Mar 27, 2008March 27th, 2008, 5:57 am EDT
Hi Jamie,
I am an alumni of Syracuse University-College of Visual and Performing Arts. How are things on campus?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Mar 27, 2008March 27th, 2008, 7:39 am EDT
I love it here. It is only my first year here, but I am staying quite busy. As you may have seen in a few of my early posts I started up a fly fishing club for ESF and SU and I have high plans for it. I also play rugby which takes up plenty of my time and I am on the SU outing club. I could not picture myself at any other school... its just too bad that the basketball team did so poorly. Nice to hear that you are an Alum. If you come to town at all let me know and maybe we can cast a line.
"I now walk into the wild"

Quick Reply