Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Priestmaker has attached this picture. The message is below.
Priestmaker
Newcastle On Tyne

Priestmaker on Mar 4, 2008March 4th, 2008, 5:19 am EST
Just under 9 lb

High Quality Antler priests, for Salmon ~ Trout ~ Gamebirds. Made from Stag Antler, capped with Indian Water Buffalo Horn. see my Gallery here
http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55/thepriestmaker/
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Mar 4, 2008March 4th, 2008, 6:51 am EST
nice hog.

congrats!
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Mar 4, 2008March 4th, 2008, 6:55 am EST
Didja eat it?
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Priestmaker
Newcastle On Tyne

Priestmaker on Mar 4, 2008March 4th, 2008, 8:09 am EST
Strangely enough no, but I did cut it into steaks, and shared it among my workmates. In a nutshell, yes it was eaten.
High Quality Antler priests, for Salmon ~ Trout ~ Gamebirds. Made from Stag Antler, capped with Indian Water Buffalo Horn. see my Gallery here
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Mar 5, 2008March 5th, 2008, 9:40 am EST
That thing is a pig! Was is caught in a pond? I have noticed that much of the fishing done overseas...Europe...seems to be in stillwaters. Priestmaker, is this accurate? I am used to mostly fishing in streams and rivers, yet I have noticed that fishing ponds and lakes in Europe seems to be very popular. Do you fish stillwater frequently?

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Priestmaker
Newcastle On Tyne

Priestmaker on Mar 6, 2008March 6th, 2008, 9:32 am EST
Hi Mike
Yes, I fish mostly stillwaters, lakes, reservoirs, as do 96% of UK flyfishers.
the fishing in Most rivers in uk is owned by syndicates, or clubs, where as anyone can fish a stocked stillwater.
I caught that fish at Witton CAstle lakes.
Take a look.
http://www.wittoncastlelakes.co.uk/

Id welcome your opinion.
PS Im flying to Alaska next year with two buddies to fish the Kenai River, invited after sending some of my priests to akflyfishers.

Paul
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Mar 6, 2008March 6th, 2008, 11:01 am EST
Paul,

Thank you for your reply. It is interesting to learn about foriegn fishing. The situation with the privatization of rivers and streams is very unfortunate. While there are some private waters in the US, the vast majority are public. I viewed the gallery on the website...some enormous fish are in those ponds. I live on the great lakes, and I would be lucky to catch a steelhead of that size.

Mike

"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Priestmaker
Newcastle On Tyne

Priestmaker on Mar 7, 2008March 7th, 2008, 3:05 am EST
Theyre only there because theyre paid for by the fishery owner, and put in to be caught, I had a wild 2 pound brownie from Keilder that put up a better fight than that one. Though there are Ferox brownies in Keider too estimated well over twenty pound.
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Mar 7, 2008March 7th, 2008, 12:25 pm EST
I live on the great lakes, and I would be lucky to catch a steelhead of that size.

That would be Lake Erie, right Mike? I used to live in Michigan and was very lucky to have fished for Salmon and Steelhead at it's peak. This was back in the 80s when Chinook averaged 25 pounds, Coho and Steelies averaged in the 15-17 pound class...Those were the days.

Any who Paul, that is a handsome 'Bow. Whilst I do miss being surrounded by water, living in the Klamath Basin ain't too shabby. The Browns and Rainbows average 5 pounds in my "home stream". Near the headwaters, native Redbands run in the 2-3 pound range.

Haven't done any Salmon or Steelhead fishing since I moved out here and, I'm afraid, not ever likely to; the entire West Coast Salmon/Steelhead fishery has virtually collapsed, according to the latest tally from last season. FWIW.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Mar 8, 2008March 8th, 2008, 1:57 am EST
Yeah, Dano, That would be Erie. The Steelhead average maybe 4-6 lbs. The "big fish" benchmark has sort of become 10+ lbs., if you get one 10+ then you have something to talk about. I have only been fishing for Steelhead for a few years, so the way is it now is all that I know.

What is the concern with the West Coast Fishery?

Mike

-John Gierach
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Mar 8, 2008March 8th, 2008, 3:11 am EST
That fish makes me hungry every time I look at it.
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Quick Reply