Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514 has attached this picture. The message is below.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Mar 2, 2008March 2nd, 2008, 11:36 am EST
Trout season is about a month away here in NY and winter can leave whenever it wants.

Some good news....I did see a single stonefly hatch today!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 2, 2008March 2nd, 2008, 11:20 pm EST
That's a cool photo. Millikan Station in the distance gives it away for me. Did you take the photo from Stewart Park?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Mar 2, 2008March 2nd, 2008, 11:27 pm EST
I knew some people would recognize the photo - its on secret spot. There are always 3 or 4 guys here when I go. Its taken from Taughannock Park.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 3, 2008March 3rd, 2008, 8:15 am EST
Its taken from Taughannock Park.

Aha, I guessed it!

I've fished there a few times but never caught anything. Of course, that's the norm for me on most of the Cayuga tribs.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 3, 2008March 3rd, 2008, 8:58 am EST
Ah, yes. I wouldn't have thought Millikan would still be so far down the lake from Taughannock. Good work, Jason.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 4, 2008March 4th, 2008, 2:07 pm EST
By the way, Al514, I am going to be displaying my tying at the Ithaca Fishing Day this Saturday. If you stop by I'd like to make your acquaintance. I'm also looking forward to meeting Chris for the first time at the show.

I've now met Jason, Louis, Gonzo, and Casey in person, and all have been as wonderful in person as they are on this forum. It's been really cool to make those connections, and even better to wet a line with a few of them. Anyway, if anyone from this forum is going to be in Ithaca this weekend, I'd be glad to meet you.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply