Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 24, 2008February 24th, 2008, 10:32 am EST
I am seeking advice for a relatively compact digital camera that is waterproof, rugged, easy to use, good/ecellent micro and macro resolution and lightweight without bulk. I will carry this worldwide, it will get wet, frozen, baked, covered in dog slobber and fish slime etc. and need support/warrantee as well as backup batteries.

Great site and AWESOME bug pics by the way.

I think that Bridge goes over Rt. 17, right?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

Dave

Ps. heres a few pics from the East branch, eating Beatis duns...

this one was munching on Chimarra..

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 24, 2008February 24th, 2008, 10:40 am EST
See how photo challenged I am, Please help me.
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Feb 24, 2008February 24th, 2008, 11:33 am EST
Dave-

All you need to do is edit your above post so that the IMG and /IMG tags are in lower case, that is, img and /img .
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 24, 2008February 24th, 2008, 5:49 pm EST
I fixed it for you. :) Taxon was right, the tags have to be lower-case. Oops. I programmed this forum from scratch so there are a few things that could use some improvement, and unfortunately I've been too busy.

Welcome to the site, though. Nice pictures!

You're right that one of the popular pics on this site is the Thruway bridge by Rt. 17 in East Branch.

Here are your options for a totally waterproof camera:

Pentax Optio W30

Olympus Stylus 790SW

Both can actually take underwater pictures. I use an earlier model in that Pentax line when I'm out fishing and don't want to carry my fancy DSLR. It's survived taking hundreds of underwater pics and being dropped on more than a few rocks. I can't guarantee it would survive 45 minutes in an oven, but other than that it's pretty durable.

The Olympus waterproof line wasn't out yet when I got mine, so I haven't really looked into it hard to figure out which of the two is better. I'm guessing they're both about equally good. I do have some complaints about graininess in low light with my Pentax, but most compact digicams have that issue to some extent.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 3:22 am EST
Thanks for the camera info, any thoughts on the Olympus 770?

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 5:09 am EST
The 790 is the successor to the 770. Oddly, it seems quite a bit cheaper. Here's a side-by-side comparision of the 770 and the 790 on features. I don't see a lot of differences.

Here's a somewhat negative review for both Olympus cameras. I have a feeling their complaints would apply to the Pentax waterproof cameras, too. I think they're exaggerating the down side, and ignoring how great these durable cameras are for fishing.

Here's a more positive review suggesting that the 790 brings some image quality improvements along with the lower price tag.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 25, 2008February 25th, 2008, 7:02 am EST
Nice fish. Glad you got the links to work.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 2:08 am EDT
Great looking fish! Seeing the rainbow I'm assuming you are fishing below the junction of the upper EB and the Beaverkill?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply