Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Cinnamon Swimmer
Watery Dun Flymph
Blue Dun Hackle
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Feb 9, 2008February 9th, 2008, 1:45 am EST
I've been busy tying and thought you might be interested in what I'm working on. Here's a few.

Mark

I'll be posting the recipes on my site, soon. If you are interested in the dressings, contact me.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 9, 2008February 9th, 2008, 1:52 am EST
Pretty, as usual. And productive, I'm sure.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Feb 9, 2008February 9th, 2008, 2:26 am EST
neat photos. say, how do you photograph the flies without any visible means of support? without being held up in the air, mine lie all crooked.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Feb 9, 2008February 9th, 2008, 2:39 am EST
I've wondered the same thing, Casey. But you may be asking a magician how he does his trick...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Dano
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dano on Feb 9, 2008February 9th, 2008, 2:54 am EST
Nice flies, Mark; thanks for sharing...

Casey, my guess is that the flies are laid on their sides on a blotter board and shot from above using a macro-telephoto. Even under the "normal" flash settings, with a macro-telephoto, the depth of field becomes extremely shallow. Since Mark does use soft hackles (I assume) getting the flies straight is much easier.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Feb 10, 2008February 10th, 2008, 6:58 am EST
I suspect the fly is attached to a post - like those used in shadow boxes. With good lighting one doesn't see the shadow of the post.
AftonAngler
Brule, WI

AftonAngler on Feb 15, 2008February 15th, 2008, 2:46 am EST
Very beautiful and very deadly looking...

Syl Nemes would be impressed.

I am!
See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.BradBohen.com
AftonAngler@BradBohen.com

Quick Reply