Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

LenH
driftless area

LenH on Jan 15, 2008January 15th, 2008, 6:04 am EST

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 15, 2008January 15th, 2008, 8:46 am EST
Wow. These photos are so beautiful and a treat for those of us who are taking a break in the office.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jan 15, 2008January 15th, 2008, 12:36 pm EST
Len

Wonderful pictures! Is this really a natural spring that was piped for something long ago and is sort of restoring itself? If so natural springs like this are one of the neatest types of habitat with a tremendous amount of the most threatened native species. Is it currently relatively protected from future surface disturbance?

My avocation is primarily the caddis that inhabit such areas. Many of these areas are not marked on maps and have never been sampled to see what may be there. In the arid west we are still finding many new species at sites like this - although they are seldom this pretty.

For those of you wandering fisher persons who come across these in your other pursuits I would love to know where they are in case I get in the area to while collecting caddis sometime. Or if any of you have easy access to something like this and are interesting in collecting please contact me off line.

dave
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Jan 16, 2008January 16th, 2008, 1:16 am EST
Less than 50 yards downstream

Beautiful skinny water loaded with eager brookies.

spring is located in Crawford County.
If you get this way sometime give me a shout.
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Feb 1, 2008February 1st, 2008, 6:25 am EST
Creno

I write a monthly Column for Midwest Outdoors Magazine. I would like to hear more about the springs? Do they have a name so I can research it for a story?

Thanks
Len
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Feb 4, 2008February 4th, 2008, 1:08 pm EST
LenH - Did I get your request right? You want to know where the springs in the pictures are?

Dave

druiter@msn.com
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Feb 4, 2008February 4th, 2008, 11:14 pm EST
clarifying email in route.

Quick Reply