Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3 has attached this picture. The message is below.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Dec 10, 2007December 10th, 2007, 9:06 am EST
Here's the first of my artistic salmon flies, called Revolution. To see my other flies and many more photos, check out the site in my signature line.

I reserve all rights to my photos. Please don't copy this image.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 10, 2007December 10th, 2007, 10:23 am EST
simply cannot believe what i'm seeing...absolutely amazing, Shawn! art at its finest, to be sure.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Dec 10, 2007December 10th, 2007, 11:15 am EST
You've really gotta see that one in 3D to appreciate it. The spiral he's made with the feathers is really cool. Very impressive!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Dec 10, 2007December 10th, 2007, 11:36 am EST
Do I see a "D" on the head? Wow a woowie! Nice site. GOLD hooks! Have you ever fished for Atlantic salmon?...Used your pieces of art?
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Dec 11, 2007December 11th, 2007, 4:09 am EST

Shawn,
The quintessence of fly tying art, destined to become collector items. I wish you the best of good fortune. Will they be numbered?

I urge all to take a few moments and explore Shawn's site.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 11, 2007December 11th, 2007, 9:10 am EST
I would second that urging. Amazing work.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Dec 11, 2007December 11th, 2007, 2:02 pm EST
unreal!
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Dec 12, 2007December 12th, 2007, 3:23 pm EST
Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen. To have my work appreciated by such knowledgeable and passionate people is a truly great reward. Even though I hope someday to make money with my tying (or at least pay off the substantial debt I've accrued via this project), the real reason I engaged this project in the first place was to share my vision for artistic flies with people like you. I appreciate your affirmation more than you know.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 12, 2007December 12th, 2007, 6:06 pm EST
Plus you shut down my teasing on the jointed flies thoroughly, Shawn. That should be, as they say in the Mastercard ads, "priceless."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 13, 2007December 13th, 2007, 3:38 pm EST
So Shawn, have you flung any of these creations at Atlantic salmon yet? Or, steelhead for that matter? Or are they strictly for the art of it?

Early in my tying career, I decided to take on as many challenges as I could. I found a couple of books with several hair-wing and mixed-feather-wing Atlantic salmon flies in them, and met the challenge. I'm sure I could tie them much better today, but I am still proud of the Green Highlander I managed to put together. And without having to purchase a bunch of exotic feathers!

Those flies are actually in the box right now awaiting for me to get off my ass and go steelhead fishing...

COOL flies, man! I like the signature "D" on the head, too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply