Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Dorsal view of a Agnetina capitata (Perlidae) (Golden Stone) Stonefly Nymph from Fall Creek in New York
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Nov 25, 2007November 25th, 2007, 10:47 am EST
But which weave?
Both the "Crisscross" and the "Mossback" (according to pics in Leeson & Schollmeyer) look to me anyway as being good candidates, but before I climb that mountain, was wondering if anyone here has a strong recommendation.

This reminds me of the time I met this guy who was good at weaving flies, so I tried to butter him up to give me a few. I did that by bringing him to a private spot where I had access. I put him on fish. He caught fish. He never said thanks, and I never got a fly. Oh well, hope springs eternal.
signed
friend of the friendless,
champion of the underdog.
Cheers,
Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Nov 26, 2007November 26th, 2007, 12:27 pm EST
Tiger weave with the light color on the bottom would be the closest I know of. I'm not sure what the mossback and criss cross are, although i'm sure the same weave prob. has about 10 names depending on where you live.
Jeff
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Nov 27, 2007November 27th, 2007, 11:34 am EST
Hi Jeff,
Yes I like it. Google came up with "Tiger Creek Bitch Creek Nymph" which to me looks closest to what we're looking for than anything in L & S.
Thanks for the lead.
Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Nov 28, 2007November 28th, 2007, 12:07 am EST
I love woven flies but I think this guy would be a better candidate for wrapping the abdomen with a natural colored Latex strip like Nymph Skin and then using sharpies or prismacolor markers to provide shading relief with the ribbing. This is a technique introduced to me by Steve Thornton out of the UK ( this is the same guy who had his flies confiscated at customs coming into the Sommerset show one year because the customs agents thought they were real bugs).

This is his site www.virtual-nymph.com I think the technique for the Ammonite nymph would be just the trick.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 28, 2007November 28th, 2007, 3:40 am EST
Or take a look at Lloyd Gonzales' (Gonzo's) Stoneflies in his book

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Pressured-Water-Tactics-Todays/dp/0811732207
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply