Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Chris_3g has attached this picture. The message is below.
I was told that the mark on his side is a lamprey mark.
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 7:19 am EST
I nabbed a 14-15" female brown (my first lake run) and headed upstream to land this mean looking dude, both on a streamer I tied, which makes things that much more satisfying. I don't have a tape, but scaling from the photograph puts this guy at 20-21". It was definitely a change from the 8-10" rainbows I've been catching over the past few weekends.

Chris.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 8:38 am EST
Nice fish. Interesting about the lamprey mark.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Nov 21, 2007November 21st, 2007, 9:03 am EST
Gorgeous brown...It is rare the we get a lake run in Erie...
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 23, 2007November 23rd, 2007, 1:40 pm EST
A HEAVY 20-21", I'd say. Nice fish, Casey. Too bad they stopped the lamprey treatments in Cayuga before they were finished. Idiots.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Nov 28, 2007November 28th, 2007, 2:57 pm EST
very nice! are those fish wild or fingerlings or do they actually stock brown trout in the lake?
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Nov 29, 2007November 29th, 2007, 10:52 am EST
Hey Smallstream. This year the NY DEC stocked 24,960 eight to nine inch browns in Cayuga Lake, and they did the same last year. They also stock comparable numbers of landlocked salmon and lake trout. I don't know whether this guy was wild or stocked, but he's been around long enough that I would respectfully refer to him as wild.

Chris.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Nov 29, 2007November 29th, 2007, 12:05 pm EST
Oops, I congratulated the wrong guy. Congratulations, CHRIS. Glad to see there are still a few big ones in Cayuga. I've heard bad things about it for the past several years. My dad, who used to be a daily lake fisherman in late Spring, went no more than a couple of times last year.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Davez
Pennsylvania

Davez on Dec 7, 2007December 7th, 2007, 12:14 am EST
nice fish. 10 years ago that place rocked. landlocked atlantics and browns in the most "landable" sizes and lots of them too. I've heard its pretty BAD these days with crowds. and its a small stream.

he looks better than 20" to me, but what he lacks in length surely makes up for in attitude and girth!

Nice fish.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 15, 2008March 15th, 2008, 1:09 am EDT
That looks to be a huge 20" - 21" brown - maybe Chris is too modest looks like it could be 22" - 23".
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply