Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 10:21 am EDT
Every year on the last weekend in April our local Lions club sponsors a "Trout Derby". We get about 3000 of "the best trout fisherman in the world" crowding our shores on my local river fishing for tagged fish with various dollar amounts assigned to them. The event lasts two nights and two days. For a week after you can't catch a fish at all.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 12:42 pm EDT
Wow...that may sound like a cool idea, but think of the negative effects this must pose to this fragile ecosystem. By the way what river is that? I think I may have fished this stream once before (not during the derby)
"I now walk into the wild"
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 1:09 pm EDT
Hi Jamie,
I am originally from Syracuse and a graduate of Syracuse University-School of art and School of Education. I grew up in the suburb of Solvay. I moved to my current home in Wellsville to take a job. The river in the photo is the Genesee River in Allegany County in NY State. The river runs south to north through Wellsville with the best trout fishing being in our area. I'm posting a map along with the photos of the area.

My best,
Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 1:55 pm EDT
I thought it was the Genesee, I have fished that once with my uncle. I am having a lot of fun out here in Syracuse...especially with the starting of my club and fishing all these rivers once unknown to me. Hopefully sometime this spring I will frequent this stream. I used to live on the Pennsylvania side of the southern tier so I used to live closer to that stream...although I did not fly fish at this time I enjoyed it very much.
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Oct 24, 2007October 24th, 2007, 9:25 am EDT
Hi again,Jamie,
Ever fish Nine Mile Creek outside of Camillus, NY? It use to be one of my favorite streams. Olive scud patterns worked wonders there. Also liked Limestone Creek out in Fayetteville. Also, you should get out to the Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery between Auburn and Syracuse. I believe it is still operated by Onondaga County, not NY State.

Mark

Carpenter's Brook Hatchery

Carpenter's Brook Hatchery, II

Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Oct 24, 2007October 24th, 2007, 9:30 am EDT
Mark,
Just wondering what some of the tagged trout are worth?
I to would like to LINE THE BANK.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Jjlyon01

Jjlyon01 on Oct 24, 2007October 24th, 2007, 12:35 pm EDT
I'm actually trying to plan a river side clean-up at 9 mile with the club...probably sometime before the snow so it is nice and clean for trout day. I haven't gotten to fish limestone or 9 mile yet but that will come soon enough. I spent a day on the Chittenango and did amazing...Caught a 21 incher (largest to date), 17 incher, and about a half a dozen 6-12 inch range. Some of my friends did a service project at Carpenter's Brook hatchery, but they didn't need anymore help...I will hopefully be getting there soon to check that out. Thanks for all the advise and the olive scud is one of my favs too.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 24, 2007October 24th, 2007, 4:12 pm EDT
Hey, at least they aren't all using a pound of split shot. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 25, 2007October 25th, 2007, 12:33 am EDT
I suppose we're talking about split-shot minimums, Jason?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply