Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flybinder has attached this picture. The message is below.
"THIS" is considered "enjoying the outdoors-fishing"!?
Flybinder
Oregon Coast

Flybinder on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 7:41 am EDT
This photo shows a perfect example of why I'll walk 10 miles out of my way, to avoid messes like this one!
How, ANYONE, can consider this "fishing" is beyond my scope of understanding!??
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 9:32 am EDT
Compared to what I saw in Pulaski that is remote...I just don't understand it.
"I now walk into the wild"
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 11:10 am EDT
I just wonder how all those guys can flyfish at the same time without getting hung up with each other in their backcasts. It must be pure poetry to watch their tight loops moving in total synchronization as they gently catch and release native trout. Thanks for sharing this touching image of our wonderful pastime, Flybinder.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Oct 23, 2007October 23rd, 2007, 4:05 pm EDT
That looks like canoe creek lake on the first day of trout......I think those 9000 people and I have a different idea of fun.
jeff
Lonehunter
UPSTATE NY

Lonehunter on Dec 14, 2007December 14th, 2007, 4:23 am EST
I know what you mean regarding the Salmon river.
Shoulder to shoulder fighting for space and salmon.
I have more luck or should I say peace and quiet with fishing on Tuesday and Wednesday. Hope my boss does not find out. LOL
TIGHT LINES
PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE
JACK

ENJOY THE JOURNEY NOT THE FINISH
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Dec 14, 2007December 14th, 2007, 7:09 am EST
"It must be pure poetry to watch their tight loops moving in total synchronization as they gently catch and release native trout."
lol

I wonder if it is a regular occurence that the guys on the bottom part of the dam get their back cast hung up on the the guys above them on the dam.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Dec 14, 2007December 14th, 2007, 10:55 am EST
I wonder if it is a regular occurence that the guys on the bottom part of the dam get their back cast hung up on the the guys above them on the dam.

Hopefully.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flybinder
Oregon Coast

Flybinder on Dec 15, 2007December 15th, 2007, 5:25 am EST
It's places and times, like this one, that make me want to come out of retirement long enough to interview just ONE of these ignorant souls!
And, I know what my opening dialog would be................
"Pardon, me, Sir..... but I'm writing an article for Fly Rod and Reel magazine and was wondering.. if you have a moment, I might possibly ask you a few questions??
Now, I realize, by the sheer fact that you're out here today, fishing like this....... that you suffer from severe retardation....... so if I use any multi-syllable, or big words with more than 5 letters that you don't understand...... my assistant, here,will be happy to help you.........."
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"

Quick Reply