Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514 has attached this picture. The message is below.
31'' and 10-15 pounds??
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 15, 2008March 15th, 2008, 1:17 am EDT
On the Tulpehocken Creek near Reading, PA there are lots of carp. In very early July the Tully gets decent Trico spinner fall. A number of years ago I was fishing on July 03 and after the trout stopped rising I walked downstreaam a bit and tight against the far bank I could clearly see about half a dozen carp, in the 5 - 6 pound range, rising.

It was pretty cool so I still had my #20 Trico spinner on and 6x tippet and on the 2nd or 3rd cast the lead fish came up an inhaled the spinner. I thought it fought great and was into my backing in a few seconds. I wound up landing about three of them and it was great sport.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RodBailey
RodBailey on Sep 7, 2008September 7th, 2008, 12:52 pm EDT
Wow Nice catch!

What size fly rod did you use?
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Sep 7, 2008September 7th, 2008, 1:28 pm EDT
6/7 wt.
JZord
New York

JZord on Mar 18, 2009March 18th, 2009, 8:37 am EDT
i love carp!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 20, 2009March 20th, 2009, 8:38 am EDT
Matt, I just saw your post. I landed a big carp on the Tully during a trico hatch a few years back. I had 7X on and began to wonder if I'd get my fly back, though. It became real work after a while, with me running downstream a time or two to avoid a break off. Still, it's the biggest fish I've landed on a trike.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 22, 2009March 22nd, 2009, 11:36 am EDT
Louis,

As you know I fished the Tully frequently this past summer during Trico time but only saw carp rising to spinners a few times and then they diddn't want my offering.

BTW I did go to SC on Wednesday and while the day was gorgeous and I fished with just a turtleneck and long sleeve shirt I didn't see that many Baetis and the fish did not rise until 2:00. I managed three on #16 BH PT's and three 11"- 13" on #18 BWO emergers. I've decided it is just too long a drive in the early season when fish don't rise until noon, or later, to go up for just one day. I spent almost five hours in the car to fish for seven hours - it's just not worth the driving time. I'll not go back until early July now - after the major hatches are over in the Catskills.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply