Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Luc384 has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Luc384
Belgium / zoersel

Luc384 on Oct 9, 2007October 9th, 2007, 11:38 pm EDT
Hi Guys,
here some pictures from the Huchen or Donausalmon to give you an idea about this fish!
Kind regards from
Luc
The worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work!!
www.flyfishingpassion.net
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Oct 10, 2007October 10th, 2007, 6:09 am EDT
whoa... I wouldnt get in the water with that thing
I am haunted by waters
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 10, 2007October 10th, 2007, 6:47 am EDT
Holy Mackeral. Or should that be Holy Taimen? What a fish!!!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Gene
Gene on Oct 10, 2007October 10th, 2007, 8:45 am EDT
Luc:

Is that the Huchen of the Danube River System? Unbelievable! What did you catch him on?...A large midget dressed as fish?

Gentlemen: Last I knew about Huchen. This classification system may have changed but here it is:

Huchen (Hucho hucho)

Original Range: from the Danube to Siberia and South to Japan

Essentially a river fish but sometimes found in lakes.

Overall shape similar to the Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) but a bit more cylindrical with a larger head and large adipose fin. When small in some stream it is mistaken for a brown trout. However, brownies have red or orange spots Huchens do not.

High growth rate of up to 4 lbs per year.

Huchen usually spawn between March and May.

Introduction elsewhere has usually met with failure due to the fish's high oxygen requirements and low pollution tolerance. It is considered endangered. Flesh not considered as good as salmon but palatable none the less.

Also very hard to rear in hatcheries due to oxygen requirements and size of fish.

A beautiful fish that most of us unfortunately will never be able to fish for but we are glad for Luc and friends. Have a beer or wine for all of us Luc!

tight lines and big Huchens

gene
www.limestoner.com
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 10, 2007October 10th, 2007, 1:32 pm EDT
Geez, what was the length and weight on that thing?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Luc384
Belgium / zoersel

Luc384 on Oct 10, 2007October 10th, 2007, 9:47 pm EDT
The fish on my website is 22kilogram for 1.20meter!
I didn't caught the fish!!! I never fished the huchen yet... i'm invited for the first time now on november 15. Untill last year the huchen fishing was not permitted for strangers.. only for slovenian people. Now you need a licence and a guide if you want to fish the huchen.
I'll let you know how it went when i get back!!
Kind regards from
luc
The worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work!!
www.flyfishingpassion.net

Quick Reply