Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flangler has attached these 9 pictures. The message is below.
Here is my favorite Montana spot...the fish aren't too big, but there are plenty of them and the scenery, well, you know.
Morning fishing.
Missed this nice rainbow half a dozen times before I figured him out.  He took my #14 red copper john dropper and made my day.
Brownie, same stream, different day.  Never seen a brown jump the way this one did.
My first ever Yellowstone cutthroat from the Soda Butte.  Or is that a cutbow?  Still pretty no matter what you call it.  Got him down and dirty with a green caddis nymph just off the NE entrance road.
A nice 'bow on a Y-stone float.
Uninvited guest at the campsite!!  Always pack extra underwear.
And a right purdy brookie from an alpine lake off of the Beartooth Highway.  We call them blonde trout at this one spot...pretty and dumb.  (No angry emails please!)  They'll hit anything!
...and here's bear #2, in Shenandoah National Park on Saturday.  I wonder why bear photos always appear...shaky?
Flangler
Arlington, VA

Flangler on Sep 25, 2007September 25th, 2007, 4:55 am EDT
Here are a few recent catches from annual pilgrimage out west with my brother, plus one or two from previous trips.
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Sep 25, 2007September 25th, 2007, 8:32 am EDT
wow that looks amazing,
thanks for sharing.
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Sep 25, 2007September 25th, 2007, 8:50 am EDT
Those pics make me want to drop out of school and hitchhike out west. Sweet photos. Is that first pick a stream? I bet that big fella knows how to catch a fish or two. Did he come close to you?
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on Sep 25, 2007September 25th, 2007, 9:32 am EDT
Jealous... of everything except the bear
I am haunted by waters
Flangler
Arlington, VA

Flangler on Sep 25, 2007September 25th, 2007, 9:39 am EDT
The main channel is actually to the right of that picture, and off in the distance as it comes down through the valley. Those are little backwater sections (that hold lots of fish!). Too close for comfort, that's for sure, but not aggressive in the least. Had another black bear encounter this past Saturday here in the east.
TrevorC
Interlochen, Michigan

TrevorC on Sep 26, 2007September 26th, 2007, 4:21 am EDT
I never get tired of looking at fishing pics... Thanks for sharing!
I'll see you down on the river...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 26, 2007September 26th, 2007, 7:40 am EDT
Great photos, and astute observation about the nature of bear photography.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Luc384
Belgium / zoersel

Luc384 on Oct 5, 2007October 5th, 2007, 9:03 am EDT
Waw man, what lovely pictures!!
Beautifull nature and wildlife.. from bears we can only dream here in Belgium/europe, i would love to come over there one day and do a fishing holliday!
Kind regards from
Luc
The worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work!!
www.flyfishingpassion.net

Quick Reply