Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
Beaver pond in upper section of stream - had lowest diversity, loads of midges & worms, beaver poop!
Let's see what I got in here!
Travis is ready to ZZZAP 'em!
Juicy looking habitat
"Do you realize that you have an unregistered nuclear reactor on your back?" (from the original Ghostbusters)
"Get 'em! GIT THAT ONE!"
Hey, we got a few!
Got some more!
"Well, Jonathon, what are they?"
Lauren takes a look
When in doubt, pull out the book!
Sorting them out...we caught a total of 283 fish!  From tiny minnows to suckers almost 10" long...
Ready to attack the next site!
Moving upstream, a good shot of the general habitat
Not big or deep water, yet loaded with life
Crown densiometer, for measuring canopy cover
Mike Osier, our main GPS guy, standing on the dam that will be removed or repaired
Dana, our UXO (unexploded ordnance!) guide, who made sure we didn't get blown up from old munitions (we saw duds!)
Getting the gear together in the morning
Lauren, our Environmental Scientist, looking fresh and beautiful before she goes out and gets all dirty & sweaty & etc. in the field
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 2, 2021March 2nd, 2021, 4:15 am EST
Well, Affiliated Researchers was awarded a stream evaluation project in support of a possible dam removal on an old military reservation in southern Indiana (the report is not yet public so no more specific location details are given). We conducted the first phase of the field work last October, collecting data on water quality and stream habitat, as well as electroshocking for fish (all released) and collecting benthic macroinvertebrate samples. Well, we found 81 identifiable genera (NOT counting Chironomidae, yet!) of benthic macroinvertebrates and 16 fish species, all in this tiny little creek that averages 6-12" deep and was maybe 3 feet in a couple of beaver ponds! We have almost completed editing the final report on last fall's field work and if possible I will eventually provide a link to it once it becomes public.

In the meantime, here's a bunch of photos of the field work and the beautiful environment we were doing it in. Enjoy! And there's another bunch of this coming up for us in May, were are going back & expanding this work to include reference streams, periphyton (algae!), and I may be smashing midge heads for generic identification (did this during my never-finished PhD work in Missouri). Lots of work & lots of $$$ for me this year!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply