Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Jan 18, 2021January 18th, 2021, 4:16 am EST
This fly is, apparently, a favorite on the Au Sable and they are sold at Gates. I can't find a list of materials for this fly anywhere - anyone here ever tie it ??
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jan 18, 2021January 18th, 2021, 6:02 am EST
Brian-

A quick search of this and I found The Gates Au Sable Lodge site with this fly listed, it appears to be a nymph? I'm also waiting for the Michigan TN contingent to chime in here...I'd bet Tim Neal has done a couple thousand of these.

GUESSING HERE but: black biot tails, a stripped red/tan quill body/abdomen, and light dun? hackle tied on top sort of clumped style then finished with a pinkish-red thread head. It looks simple which is good since most guide flies are just that- simple and effective; I can't recall a guide fly that was not.

Speaking of guide flies, John Bueter of Cloud Nine in Baldwin (here in MI) supplied me with bunch of Iso spinners some years back that were KILLER ties, and so basic as to be a couple minute each...at most.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to the attention of the TN mob, I'm gonna' time some in various shades before the season starts up for real in May or so.

Roguerat

"Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Roguerat
Roguerat on Jan 18, 2021January 18th, 2021, 6:12 am EST
Second thought, I looked at the pic of this fly more thoroughly and it looks like a clumped-hackle dry- need some input here, please!
guess I had nymphs on my mind since I'm researching another MI pattern, Springs Wiggler tied for a Hex nymph...plans for this on on the L Manistee this coming season!

RR
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jan 18, 2021January 18th, 2021, 7:02 am EST
Looks like red quill hackle stacker, moose mane or body hair for the tail, red stripped peacock for the body and dun hackle tied in hackle stacker style. I will do more investigating. Rogue have you checked the rogue hex on nomad anglers? I tied some up, I like it a lot.
Mike.
Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Jan 20, 2021January 20th, 2021, 8:51 am EST
Based on the picture of the fly they sell at Gates it looks like ginger quill tied up to the 3/4 mark - or, as Roguerat said, some kind of stripped redtan quill. Light dun or white hackle tied partly over the quill then clipped off underneath the fly so it rides lower. Tail looks more like biot than moose main to me. And the front is indistinct as well - almost looks like that pinkish henny dubbing.
Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Jan 23, 2021January 23rd, 2021, 3:14 am EST
Mike - I looked up how to tie a hackle stacker - you are right - that's got to be what this fly is !!! Thanks so much :-) Brian
Roguerat
Roguerat on Jan 23, 2021January 23rd, 2021, 3:35 am EST
Mike,

Just checked out the Nomad Anglers video for the Rogue Hex and it looks well worth tying and fishing, thanks for the tip!

Getting cabin fever in January, sort of a non-winter thing going in W MI this 'winter' and only 8"!? of snow on the 'season' thus far, crazy weather patterns.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Quick Reply