Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Buncha bugs!!
Goniobasis snails, pill clams, and snail-cased caddis larvae (Helicopsyche)
Dragonhunter!  Wouldn't want to meet this thing in a dark alley
Phallic crayfish, no kidding! Orconectes putnami
Water penny larva
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 20, 2020November 20th, 2020, 3:32 am EST
Well...my boss looked at that scope, and not only was it on sale for half price, there was an additional 15% off for Veteran's Day! I can now take really nice photos of all of these bugs I am working on! Here's a few for your enjoyment. A full post is coming on this project soon, just too busy with the work right now to pick out all the pics & etc.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Nov 20, 2020November 20th, 2020, 5:28 am EST
Well I'd hate to meet some of those in a dark alley. Those are great pics. My son would love that.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 20, 2020November 20th, 2020, 5:34 am EST
Cool, mother nature is pretty neat.
Mike.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 20, 2020November 20th, 2020, 7:25 am EST
Awesome Jonathon!

I also talked my wife into getting me this ringlight as an early Christmas present:

https://www.amscope.com/accessories/illuminator/ring-lights/144-led-lighting-direction-adjustable-microscope-ring-light-with-adapter.html

The overhead light built into the scope was a bit faint for some of the things I wanted to do, and at first I was using my fly tying light as an external source, but the ringlight is way nicer. Very bright uniform light up close above the subject. It does make manipulating specimens a bit trickier when using the 2X objective lens adapter though, just because the working distance is so short, but on balance I think it's very much worth it.

My only problem with the scope right now is that I've already identified all my preserved backlogged bugs as well as I can given my taxonomic resources and abilities, so I have to wait until spring to do much more with it.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 23, 2020November 23rd, 2020, 1:32 am EST
I have a Unitron ring illuminator for my B&L StereoZoom scope at home, and it's currently on my Meiji Techno here at work because the danged halogen bulb burned out a month after I replaced it! Ring lights are the best, and this Unitron has some nice bells and whistles on it:

https://microscopecentral.com/products/bausch-lomb-stereozoom-ring-light

I love optics and the things you can see & photograph through them!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 1, 2020December 1st, 2020, 8:02 am EST
Folks - sorry I have been off for awhile, and not sure how often I will get back. If you are going to buy lights for miscrope photos, and general work, try to get a single head COB led with a flexible neck. Ikea sold some really great ones but no more. You could often get for 10 bucks. They must be out there somewhere yet. Now Ikea carries this.

It looks like it has a hard stem rather than flexible to the base. and the head looks larger in diameter than the old one. I don't know if it is as bright.
I think this is the old one.

be sure to get the 115V. not USB powered.

While the ring lights are good for many tasks, like Jason says, they won't get close enough at the higher magnifications, and they will leave a halo around many images you may not like. The small COB lights will fit even when your working distances get down to a cm or less.

one other item if you are buying scopes for macro/micro photo. Try and get one with with course and fine focus. The fine focus will make photograpy much easier, especially when you start stacking images.
creno

Quick Reply