Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Red_green_h has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Nov 5, 2020November 5th, 2020, 12:50 pm EST
Oldest just got out of the Marines and is home for a spell so I grabbed my trusty 2 wt and off to the Jemez Mts we went. Beautiful day, low 60s, sunny, slight breeze. River is very low, fish were easily spooked, weren't taking anything. And I threw everything on. Saw some big browns but nothing biting. Still a great opportunity to forget about the craziness going on now and for just a little bit I did.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 5, 2020November 5th, 2020, 10:58 pm EST
Looks great Red green, that is some beautiful country! Thank your son for me for his service! I would love to be out right now, the weather is great here, but my car is the bump shop, hit a huge deer, oh well, maybe in couple weeks.
Take care, Mike.
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Nov 6, 2020November 6th, 2020, 1:04 am EST
I sure will thank him for you. Any tips on getting fish out of ankle deep water would be appreciated. Water was so low you couod see the wake of the fish as it swam away. Most of the river was this deep sone parts might have been shin deep. They were hiding in the banks under flattened grass. Just could not lure them out. Probably didn't help my 12 and 23 year olds were horsing around a lot. They were excited just hanging out. It was good seeing them together. One of those thank God I'm alive, this is what it's all about moments.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 6, 2020November 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm EST
Red green, the only thing you can do is be sneaky, think of it like still hunting for deer with a bow, which I used to love to do. I didnt kill a lot of deer doing that, but it was the most satisfiying hunting I ever did. I like to think Im hunting trout this time of year, stalking, you have to think of every move you make. I love it. Remember light long tippets, and careful wading.
Mike.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 13, 2020November 13th, 2020, 12:21 pm EST
Yeah. Knee pads, and move slowly.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply