Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNorthern lp, Michigan
Dates FishedTuesday
Time of DayAll day
Fish CaughtBrown, brook trout
Conditions & HatchesCloudy and overcast, cool. Water very low, and clear.

Details and Discussion

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 1, 2020October 1st, 2020, 6:08 am EDT
The fall colors were very nice, including the brook trout. I fished streamers all day, and a few brookies and one medium size brown. No real patterns as far as streamers I caught a fish or two on 4 or 5 different patterns. Were getting rain right now so maybe a little more water well help.
Mike.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 1, 2020October 1st, 2020, 7:38 am EDT
Absolutely beautiful male brook trout in what I assume are spawning colors.
i've seen many colored up but this has to be one of the prettiest.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 1, 2020October 1st, 2020, 8:25 am EDT
Yes Matt, it was stunning, I love this time of year in northern Michigan, but its the shortest of the seasons! I blew out the sole of one my orvis boa boots, they have been great no complaints. Im going to try shoe goo and duct tape to get me through till spring! Im looking at new waders and boots, so Im selling a couple of rod that I have just not used.
Mike.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Oct 1, 2020October 1st, 2020, 11:26 am EDT
The brookie is absolutely stunning!!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 1, 2020October 1st, 2020, 3:45 pm EDT
Gorgeous fish! I find Shoe goo doesn't work as well on boots as Aquaseal. Good luck with the boots; I nursed a pair of Simms Riversheds through several seasons with glue. If it's a delaminated/peeling sole Barge cement will hold and stay flexible.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 2, 2020October 2nd, 2020, 12:07 am EDT
Martinlf, thanks for the tips, looks like Barge cement for me.
Mike.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 2, 2020October 2nd, 2020, 7:53 am EDT
Well I guess I'll add my thoughts on the glue issue. I had two pairs of Caddis wading shoes. Both were sent to me at no cost by the maker as I had been very disappointed with the life of the felt soles adhering to the rubber soles. They sent me a low end pair and another higher cost model. The felts came off the lower canvas upper model within four months. The soles on the better model, about $100, lasted over a year of solid fishing but it finally came unglued also.

I decided to give Flex Glue a try and I have been very satisfied with the results. It is entirely waterproof which is important because many other adhesives are only water resistant. I put it on the $100 pair last fall and the felts are still holding securely.

I make sure the felts are entirely removed and I wash them and dry them completely. I also wash the rubber soles of the uppers and make sure they are totally clean and dry. Then I liberally apply the product to the rubber and place the felt soles onto the rubber. Once you put them on the adhesiveness is almost immediate so be sure you line them up correctly.

To assist in the bonding I wrap duct tape all over the soles and heels as tightly as I can and let it dry for 24 hours.

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-glue/?attribute_pa_size=10%20oz&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=paid&utm_term=shopping_glue_10&msclkid=3184f1f2b63212b888ecae85341e3ca5
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 4, 2020October 4th, 2020, 4:22 pm EDT
Matt, let us know how the flex glue holds up. I'm always looking for new glues to try. I may give it a try with the Rivershed's. The whole sole has loosened up at the heel again on one pair. I've had those boots at least 7 years, possibly 10. They have been glued many times and twice stitched by a shoe repair shop. I sort of hate to give up on them. They have another season in them for sure. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 5, 2020October 5th, 2020, 3:46 am EDT
Hello Louis,

Matt, let us know how the flex glue holds up

I glued them last fall at the beginning of the steelhead season. They are still holding well. However I also use a pair of Chota felts I bought last fall so I'd say I've only used the Flex cemented felts about 10 trips.

Did you re-book for Montana 2021? I did - June 26 to July 09 Cabin #3.

Quick Reply